- Prepare for Research
- Define information needs (i.e define your question)
- Explore information
- Identify and use varied ways of organizing information
- Relate prior knowledge to information
Graphic Organizers: Tagxedo, scoopit
AASL’s** Standards for the 21st Century Learner: Use prior and background knowledge as context for new learning.
- Locating Resources
- Develop effective search strategies
- Select the most appropriate tools for identifying information
- Obtain information in a variety of formats (print and electronic)
- Locate a variety of appropriate information from a variety of sources
- Gather information from resources using organizational methods
- Collaborate with others to share findings and ideas
search engines: sweet search, google advanced, metacrawler, dogpile
AASL’s Standards for the 21st Century Learner: Find, evaluate, and select appropriate sources to answer questions.
- Process Information
- Analyze and evaluate information for quality, quantity and relevance
- Revise search strategies to adjust research and problem solving
- Sort information using a variety of organizational tools
- Synthesize findings and formulate conclusions
- Document information sources
Easybib, prezi, livebinder
AASL’s Standards for the 21st Century Learner: Organize knowledge so that it is useful.
Use technology and other information tools to analyze and organize information.
- Transfer Learning
- Revise product according to purpose, audience and format
- Present research finding in a variety of forms for a variety of audiences
- Reflect and evaluate learning
- Transfer new skills and knowledge in order to solve future problems and make decisions
Prezi, Glogster Edu
AASL’s Standards for the 21st Century Learner: Use the writing process, media and visual literacy, and technology skills to create products that express new understandings.
- Utilize Information Ethically
- Understand plagiarism and know the importance of and how to correctly acknowledge the work of others
- Understand fair use and intellectual property
flickr, Wikimedia Commons, morguefile, ccmixter
AASL’s Standards for the 21st Century Learner: Respect copyright/intellectual property rights of creators and producers.
Follow ethical and legal guidelines in gathering and using information.
Practice safe and ethical behaviors in personal electronic communication and interaction.
**American Association of School Librarians